Best Places To Fish For Crappie In New York
To find out where the best NY waters for crappie fishing we polled 56 NY fisherman. Out of the 56 fisherman polled more than 100 lakes were mentioned as being the best for crappie.
To post our best crappie places poll results we will be doing a countdown to get to the best place for crappie fishing. The fishing waters that came out as most popular with our 56 fisherman will located at the bottom of this page.
Lets Start With A Few That Did Not Make The Countdown
These lakes do have crappie in them. They simply were some of the less popular. Then again some of the New York crappie record fish came from unpopular waters. Those same crappie were likely giants because of less fisherman on those lakes.
These less popular fishing holes are:
- Peconic River
- Muscoot Reservoir – This lake gets stocked every spring with trout, but crappie are there.
- Waneta Lake – The DEC allows ice fishing on this lake
- Sleepy Hollow Lake – A record breaking crappie came out of this lake.
- Long Lake
Best NY Crappie Fishing Countdown
There were a total of 17 New York fishing places that did make our best crappie countdown. Of course we will start with #17 being the lowest ranking. Then in the end we will announce the #1 most voted lake. The #1 New York fishing spot for crappie was voted to be the best by the 56 fisherman we polled.
- #17 – New Croton Reservoir is located in Westchester County, New York and spills into the Hudson River. The bass are popular in this lake, but there are also: Chain Pickerel, Common Carp, Yellow Perch, White Perch, Black Crappie, Brown Bullhead and Sunfish.
- #16 – Whitney Point Reservoir is located in Broome County, New York. There are many fish species in this lake but Walleye and Crappie are the most popular.
- #15 – Oneida Lake stretches over 6 New York counties. The most of the lake is about 22 feet deep. Its also a popular ice fishing spot.
- #14 – Lake Ontario separates the USA from Canada. While you are out fishing for crappie you can see parts of Canada.
- #13 – Silver Lake is located in Wyoming County, New York. The North and South ends of the lake are best for crappie. These ends have plenty of underwater natural habitats for crappie to live in.
- #12 – Keuka Lake is mostly residential shorelines but you can access the lake publicly in Keuka Lake State Park. This lake has deep waters and an abundance of many species of fish including crappie.
- #11 – Lake George is a large tourist area. Many families travel to this lake for vacation and fishing. If you want to fish with less traffic, try going during less traveled seasons.
- #10 – Duck Lake this is a small 213 acre lake in Cayuga County, New York. Don’t let the size of this lake fool you. In 1998 Kenneth Kierst caught a record breaking 3lb 12oz black crappie in Duck Lake.
- #9 – Conesus Lake covers almost 3,500 acres of NY. Its one of the finger lakes and is jam packed with big fish.
- #8 – Saratoga Lake is another lake that is popular with the tourist. There is plenty of lodging available if you wanted to travel to this lake to catch some crappie.
- #7 – South Bay is the southeast corner of Oneida Lake. This crappie fishing honey hole was voted into the #7 spot of our best crappie places countdown.
- #6 – Honeoye Lake is another finger lake that made our list. This lake is a great spot for ice fishing for crappie in the winter.
Top 5 Crappie Fishing Places In New York
- #5 – Canandaigua Lake is located in Yates County, New York. It is also the fourth largest of the finger lakes. Bass, Trout and Crappie are the favorite fisherman’s favorites on these waters.
- #4 – Cayuga Lake is the second largest of the finger lakes with plenty of crappie. This lake covers just under 43,000 acres of New York land. You really can’t go wrong with picking this lake for your next fishing trip.
- #3 – Lake Champlain made our crappie fishing list as #3, but this lake made it to the #5 spot for best lakes in the United States. There are an estimated 81 different fish species in this lake including crappie.
- #2 – Black Lake area residents are probably not surprised to see it made it to our #2 crappie fishing spot. This lake is well know for its abundance of crappie and giant perch. This lake gets thousands of visitors annually because of its superb fishing. This lake also offers some really good organized fishing tournaments. See this Black Lake Tourist Information
Voted Best Places To Fish For Crappie In New York
We have made it to our #1 favorite fishing spot for Crappie in the state of New York. We polled 56 New York fisherman find out where to catch crappie. Out of 56 Crappie fisherman 32 said that this was the best fishing spot.
Chautauqua Lake is the best place to fish for crappie in the State of New York
#1 – Chautauqua Lake is located in Chautauqua County, New York. The lake covers about 13,000 acres of land and can be up to 78 feet deep in some areas.
While we are mainly interested in the crappie fishing, Chautauqua Lake has multiple fish species. These fish include: Largemouth bss, smallmouth bass, muskellunge, walleye, yellow perch, white perch, pumpkinseed, bluegill, and bullhead.
There are special fishing regulations in Chautauqua Lake, but these special regulations do not apply to crappie fishing. The crappie fishing regulations for this lake are standard New York crappie fishing regulations.